The Dower House was built in the 1880s by the Peek family, the owners of the Rousdon Estate which is situated approximately a mile to the south of the property on the top of cliffs overlooking the sea.
It is believed that Sir Francis Peek originally built the house as a home for his mother, hence the name Dower or Dowager House.
If the dowager lived at the property at all, however, it was for a relatively short period as it was not long before the house became a rectory. After All Hallows public school relocated to the Rousdon estate from Honiton in 1938 the Dower House became the headmaster’s residence. New boarders had to spend a period of time living in the Dower House under the control of the Headmaster’s wife until they became “disciplined enough” to be transferred to the main school dormitories. Later, when girls were accepted at the school, the 6th form girls boarded at the Dower House.
The headmaster’s residence was transferred to a building on the estate in the early 1970’s and the Dower House was converted into a hotel.